Spring Break: Have Fun But Don’t Break The Law
Spring break in Florida is an annual ritual for many young people. College-goers, young adults and even some high schoolers, flock to Florida to enjoy all there is to offer. We have some of the best beaches, waterways for boating, restaurants, bars and clubs. These are natural settings for parties. However, with those parties comes alcohol. If you or a loved one are planning to hit the spring break scene, here are some things to keep in mind to avoid a DUI.
- Don’t carry open containers of alcohol in your car. If you need to transport beer, wine, whiskey or vodka in your car, make sure to place it in the trunk, even if it’s unopened.
- No underage drinking. The legal age in Florida is 21. For someone underage, even if you register only .02 on the Breathalyzer, you can get a DUI under zero-tolerance laws.
- Don’t try to avoid DUI checkpoints. Some people get nervous when they see a checkpoint, even if they’ve done nothing wrong. If you see one coming up, don’t do anything foolish like making an illegal U-turn. That’s just going to attract officers’ attention and suspicion and may get you pulled over.
- Be careful when driving after taking any medication. Even over-the-counter medication can impair your ability to drive, so it’s best to avoid getting behind the wheel in this scenario.
- Explore other ride options if you’ve been drinking. People like the freedom of traveling with their own vehicle, but this shouldn’t put other road users at risk. Before you head out, assign a designated driver. With the availability of Uber, Lyft and other ride-share options, there’s really no reason you should get behind the wheel if you’ve been drinking.
Our advice is, if you’ve been drinking, don’t get behind the wheel. We also understand that sometimes mistakes are made and you may run into a DUI issue. We believe everyone deserves fair representation. At The Lewis Law Group, we are on your side and will defend you in cases involving DUI charges.
Or… if you were involved in an accident with someone under the influence, we can help you get the compensation you deserve. If you were involved in a DUI incident in any way, we can help. Reach out to us for a FREE case evaluation.