Spring Break: The Time Of Year When DUI Cases Spike
During Spring Break, it’s important to remember the potentially deadly consequences of DUIs. The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles has identified March and April as a vulnerable time for DUIs. Additionally, statistics show a 9% spike in traffic fatalities in Florida during this period – accompanied by an even more startling 23% jump in drunken-driving related deaths. Reports show that on spring break, on average males consume eighteen alcoholic drinks per day while females have ten. It’s important to know and practice safe driving habits so you or a loved one don’t become part of these statistics.
Spring Break - Don’ts
- No driving after drinking alcohol or taking drugs
- No texting while behind the wheel – this can wait for when you’re parked safely at your destination.
- If you choose to drink, do so responsibly by appointing a designated driver.
- Never allow someone who has been drinking to drive - keep yourself (and everyone else on the road) out of harm’s way.
Spring Break and Summer Holiday - Do’s
- Make a commitment to safety by having a designated driver, walking or grabbing an Uber/Lyft - both of which are often discounted during these peak risky times.
- Make sure you plan ahead for how you will get home before drinking as alcohol can affect your judgment. Don't let one night of fun put your future in jeopardy.
- Have fun, but play it safe. Know your limits when drinking alcohol and keep yourself in check for a night of responsible enjoyment.
- Spotting a drunk or impaired driver isn't something to be taken lightly – it could mean saving someone's life. If you witness any potentially dangerous behavior, don’t hesitate to call the police right away – your quick action could make all the difference.
- Stay alert on the roads to protect yourself from dangerous, impaired drivers—drive defensively and stay vigilant.
Even if you haven’t been drinking, accidents can still happen! If you or someone close to you has been charged with a DUI, or you’re involved in an accident with someone who has been drinking, get in contact with an experienced attorney right away! At The Lewis Law Group, we fight diligently alongside you when it comes to DUI cases. We have vast experience representing clients across Martin, Palm Beach, St. Lucie and other county courts.
The attorneys at The Lewis Law Group are here to make sure that you're not alone in your car accident case this spring break. Our committed legal team is here to help you through the process and uncover options that might have remained hidden. With our extensive courtroom experience and knowledge of the law, we can help you achieve your desired outcome. Contact us for a FREE case evaluation.